Boston, Stanley Cup and Vancouver Riots


Stanley Cup Finals Social Media IconImage by rob.masefield via Flickr
For this post I'm using Trebuchet font in honour of the war machine of times gone by. A trebuchet was much like a catapult only it used weight and inertia to move the giant objects it flung.


Enough of the History lesson, let's move on to the Stanley Cup finals. I'm a Boston Bruins fan and for me, seeing my team win was one of the best things that could happen this year. Mind you, it doesn't compare to getting married, or getting my first teaching job, scoring my first goal in hockey or many other personal accomplishment, but it is pretty nice.


Having said that, I am having a hard time understanding why people would riot in Vancouver after the Canucks lost. Trust me, I'm trying. The act of rioting is serious. People have done it over such large issues as race rights, illegitimate governments, fascist rule, suffrage and the list goes on. I'm not forgetting the history of rioting after sporting events - soccer and hockey seem to be the most common culprits there. But to me a riot just seems to be a serious action, caused by injustice. 


The world must be treating the rioters in an absolutely deplorable way. The people must feel the loss of something great and the injustice must bear down upon them in such a way that the only reaction, the only way to find justice is to take it out on the establishment. Fight back against society, government and those who are at the heart of the cause.
Look how angelic I am, next to the fire in the street.


What I see in the pictures on the website of The National Post are of a spoiled population, a group of boys and girls (in their twenties and thirties) who need some discipline from a strict parent. Dads, it'll be Father's Day soon, go out and give these kids a spanking. I mean that in a tragically glib way of course. But it is true. Canada, if these are "Canucks" as their expensive replica hockey jerseys and shirts declare, then it is time that they be shown how to act like Canucks. Action needs to be taken. We have photos, faces and proof of their actions. We as a country need to crack down on these actions. 
Hey buddy, get me next to this flaming car. It'll be my new Facebook pic.
All you have to do is look at the pictures. These kids are smiling. They are out enjoying a good ole riot. "Let's all laugh and destroy stuff cause it's fun." I mean hell, what are people thinking? Popped Collar and straight billed baseball cap with designer jeans and cool camera phone, this guy's just out to get a pic of his buddy mid-riot. When do we start thinking this is okay? When is it cool to be a part of this? I know that these people may not have lit the car, but the fact that we as Canadians are seen full of joy and capturing the event for posterity is ludicrous. 
Back to the point... If these people were "rioting" and acting out against the injustice of the win captured by the Boston Bruins, then why are they so happy?
What is causing this young man's actions?


When I look at the pictures I can only feel disgust. A young man wearing Nikes, jeans, a Canucks jersey, and a nice backpack doesn't seem to fit the description of someone with the motivation to set a police car on fire. What is his message? What is he trying to say with his actions? "I am angry that my favorite sports team didn't win!" Is this a sane reaction? And now I'm writing in circles because I can only see spoiled little babies. 


We have no major injustice to fight against in our country. Our government is not starving the majority of its population. We are creating child soldiers in our lands. There are no rebels fighting against the government to overthrow its tyranny. We riot because we didn't win... Do you hear the screaming child pounding its fists on the floor? I can show you that screaming, tantrum:


And just for fun, I can show you our version of the V-day picture in Time Square:


































So, I just thought I would mention an article from the telegraph that I have listed below: "Vancouver Canucks fans riot after team's surprise loss to Boston Bruins." Apparently it's okay to riot if it was a surprise loss. But a surprise to whom? I thought Boston was going to win. The only question I'm left with is this: Would they riot if Vancouver won? My answer is: YES!!!

These people seem happy. They seem like they want to just have fun by causing destruction. The greatest irony is that if we are angry that the CANADIAN TEAM lost, then why are we damaging Canadian streets, shops and people? Why did we break into the Hudson Bay store?







Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

  1. i actually dont get it, here in asia we always question american on why they go riot when their team lost? i am thinking that they are scripted inorder to steal from stores, shops and to innocent people. its also because of the gambling why they go berserk. tsk

    mjkcherokee scrubs

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Time for some Life Experience

Shin splints and on-line contests