For those of you in a workout rut!!!


Well, I've been stagnant for over a month of working out. I've been doing random workouts, and trying to find a niche that works for me. I ran my 10k and it was fun. But I need something that will work for me.

So I've started Insanity: The Asylum Vol.1 Sports Performance by www.Beachbody.com
The verdict is still out, but I can tell you what I've experienced so far.

I've completed two workouts: 1) Speed & Agility, 2) Strength
For Speed & Agility: It was tough. I didn't have the equipment so I improvised, as any good athlete would. I needed a speed ladder and jump rope. I used duct tape and created the speed ladder, which worked quite well and I jumped in time with the video, so that I didn't need the rope. Obviously it was easier to jump without the rope but at least I was doing something.

The jump rope section was hard and complex. I think it will take me a few times to get the pattern down, but maybe that's what I need. I've had it with workouts that I do once or twice and have them memorized. The speed ladder portions worked my core in ways that I never had before and I've been through a lot of different fitness programs: Power 90, 10 Minute Trainer, P90X, P90X+, and Insanity. So I have to say that I felt weak. It was tough to complete each exercise in the time alloted - I felt out of shape and wanted to stop and catch my breath. But I pushed through. The bear crawl series of exercises is what really whipped my butt. And I have to say that this workout, on its own, would be a great one for developing fitness in athletes. It taxed my cardio, speed, agility, strength, core and wits. I had to get my body to do increasingly complex exercises. Really good!

For Strength: I did this with a friend and we both completed it. It was tough, no doubt! And we found that it did exactly what we felt we were missing when we did the Insanity program. It had cardio and strength, where Insanity was missing a more balanced approach and focused on doing mostly cardio. The weight work was good, dynamic and challenging and it kept me moving, while forcing me to push my cardiovascular limits. The weighted squat, jump, switch had my quads aching the next day.

Overall, these two workouts have proven to be what I might have needed to get me out of a workout rut.




Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time for some Life Experience

Shin splints and on-line contests