Getting Married


The bachelor party was a hit. I just want to write something quick about it before I start on the wedding.

We went to Treego in Mactaquac NB(click the link to see some treego activities), and I have to say that it was an amazing way to spend a morning. We overcame obstacles - swinging logs in trees, high-wire tight ropes, and zip-lines - and I don't think I could have had more fun.

Golf was great. It was one of those times when every shot seems to go right. And, I'm a duff golfer. Or at least that's what I like to call myself. I get a lot of bogies and double bogies and every few holes I really suck. But it was one of those days where I was hitting almost everything straight and long. I had so many chances at par, that I felt good about myself. And that is the amazing thing about golf; you don't have to be good to enjoy yourself.

After that it was dark and we started a fire to cook our steaks. My cousin's husband had come along to the golf and dinner and I have to say that I'm thankful he did. He's quite a woodsman and he had the fire going before long and as we sat on the porch of our camp, he cooked the steaks. I don't think I can describe the warmth of the fire or the beauty of the night. But it was a perfect one. After Treego and golf, we were all tired, so we didn't get up to any mischief; which was a good thing because when we walked down to the beach for a midnight swim, we were promptly told, "You boys would be safest back at your campsite. You wouldn't want to get mixed up in any nasty business down here." Apparently, he didn't realized that we were 4 teachers and 1 minister who wanted to get cooled off after a hot day. We certainly weren't getting into any "nasty business" and we weren't looking for trouble. Needless to say, we couldn't talk him into letting us swim; even with him there to watch us. But other than that it was a great night.

Now on to the wedding. I've been thinking about the value of the day - what it's worth - and the value of the days to follow. This is what I have to say:
I've been told that if a person is too happy about the wedding day, then it may be a sign that they just want the day and not the marriage. And that idea has stuck with me. The reason? I'm extremely happy about the day. But considering that I've just left myself open to the question: Are you more excited about the day than the marriage? I'll answer it this way; YES! I am more excited about the wedding day than the marriage. Here is why:
I know that I love my fiance. I will spend the rest of my life loving her whether or not we have a wedding day. So the question remains as to the purpose of the wedding. For me it's a celebration of the fact that I will be with her. I already know I will and that idea has excited me long before I had proposed; long before the wedding was planned. So if I already know that I will be with her, then that can't possibly the reason for my excitement now. It's a certainty for me. I'm excited about the day because it is going to be the most fun I've had with all of the people I love. It is going to be a celebration of something I already know to be true. My wedding day will be a great day. Not because of the marriage - that's a formality of something I already know - but because of the gather of people to celebrate what I know.

On a side-note. While looking at stuff about Mactaquac park I found a completely unrelated article that I thought would be interesting. Check it out if you want.
Enhanced by Zemanta

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time for some Life Experience

Shin splints and on-line contests