Working with twitter to make me fitter (more fit)


Enhanced by ZemantaImage representing Twitter as depicted in Crun...Image via CrunchBase
Here is what I've learned this week:
1) Twitter is a great fitness tool.
2) Fixing a roof in winter can cause some issues.

First off, I'd like to say that on my fitness journey, I'm in a lull; a rut if you will. I've run 3 times this week and had one weight workout. That may not seem so bad, but before I started training for a half-marathon I was doing a weight routine and a cardio workout four times a week. So for me to go from 8 wourkouts to 4. I'm not feeling all that accomplished. So why have I slowed?

I'm finding that while I'm running good distances: 4,5, or 8 miles, I'm not getting as much of a burn in the time that I run. I don't sweat as much. My joints also hurt more from a long run than say a Beachbody Insanity workout. I could do the "pure cardio" workout after a full chest and back weight routine and then still feel good to go the next day. Not only that, but I was getting sculpted.

With running. I feel too hurt and sore to run everyday and I am having a hard time incorporating long runs into my training program. I've used Runner's World's ultimate Half-marathon training program, and it is too much running and not enough basic fitness and muscle toning for me. I feel "loose in the cage". My abs are starting to disappear as I run more. It's really weird.

So what I think I'm going to do is combine Insanity workouts with long distance runs to keep my cardio up, and burn calories, while still increasing my ability to run long distances. I'm not sure it will work, but I think that if I do an Insanity workout on my "no run" days. Then I'll be able to keep strong and still get ready for race day.

As a link back to my previous statement: 1) Using Twitter for fitness. I've just started searching #fitness in Twitter and I've come up with some great people to follow: DrOz, Tony Horton, MarathonTrainHQ, DaveZinczenko are just a few .
There are lots of great ways to use twitter to find useful articles. Tony Horton regularly has recipes in his tweets that are healthy and tasty. DrOz is full of advice. I don't watch his show, but I will check his tweets. And I'm just new to this whole "Twitter thing". So I'm only going to learn more.

On a side note. My roof leaked today due to the fact that I had tried to repair it in the dead of winter, during a snow storm. I guess the tar didn't hold because I now have water dripping into my kitchen. I probably should have fixed it up once the sun came out. Oops. I'll get it tomorrow.
Additional RECIPE links found tonight on Twitter: 
Grilled Steak Marinade: Muscle & Fitness, from a tweet by  
Salsa Shrimp Dip: From Fitness.com, tweet by 
Gluten-free Lactose-free Cornbread: From Fitness.com, tweeted by  

I just wanted to stop in with a few quick links I found today. It's not much and I'm on my way to do my run tonight. So here they are:
http://www.muscleandfitnesstrainer.com/home/articles/training-like-stoppani
On Twitter: muscle_fitness
http://www.remanents.com/blog/

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Time for some Life Experience

Shin splints and on-line contests